Google Analytics

March 8, 2011

15 Essential Steps you need to know, when designing your dream home. Part 5 of 5

So, let’s review our 15 essential steps when designing your dream home, we’ve looked at steps 1-12 so far:

Steps 1-3
1. Selecting your perfect structure
2. Floor plans and elevations

3. Function

Steps 4-6

4. Budget
5. Mood and Style
6. Overall design

Steps 7-9
7. Bathroom and Kitchen design
8. Furniture Plan
9. Lighting plan

Steps 10-12
10. Window covering
11. Fabric
12. Wall colour
Now... we move on to the last 3 steps 13, 14 and 15 !

13. Styling: 
Now that you have a complete plan, you can shop! Now it's time for accessories. For rhythm, you need objects that repeat. Instead of one candlestick on your sideboard in your dining room, what about 3 of the same?  This way our accessories have more of an impact.


Santa Rita Ave traditional dining room

Ask yourself repeatedly through this process -- are my choices consistent with my commitment to the desired ambiance?  If not go back through a few steps.  You cannot compromise here and get the room of your dreams.

William Hefner Architecture Interiors & Landscape traditional dining room

Continuously keep the mood of your room in mind.  Try to do all of your accessorizing and styling within a short period of time in order to keep to one style.  Note: 80 percent of the design of a room should be in one focused style and 20 percent can vary.  This 20 percent will certainly stand out. Fully complete one room, before moving onto the next.

14.  Edit your choices: 
Keep the concepts of harmony and balance in mind when editing your ideas. I find this stage often takes the most time.  Your final choices should please the eye, feel balanced, and create your desired mood.  Our eyes need to rest so don't be afraid to have a little bare space, that helps make everything else pop.

15. Finally - Relax: 
Designing  a home is not easy.  There are important choices to be made and made quickly.  Having a game plan and following it does ease the stress.
Now we're all done, kick back, relax and enjoy your beautiful new home!

Haven traditional bedroom
traditional bedroom design by Houston interior designer A Waters

OK, are we ready?  Questions?  I'd love to help.
Check out our interior design website!  http://www.reflectionsinteriordesigns.com/

9 comments:

  1. Hi Jill
    I just want to sit and sip wine in some of these interiors !!! Thank you for entering my giveaway and supporting my artwork. I feel the love and must say your work is stunning. I am following.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, I need to hang out and read the rest of all these steps!
    xo
    maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love the dining room by Robin McCarthy.

    Matter of fact, I would love to sit at that table with a nice glass of wine in that dining room.

    Have a wonderful weekend !!

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that strange, I have mentioned wine in both of my posts .......

    Cheers to that.

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys. Isn't that dining room incredible? I just feel relaxed looking at that photo. And my Dr. says wine is good for the heart - so drink up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jill,
    Thanks for your comment re: the course today!!
    x
    maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to sit at that desk with a nice cup of vino in that cusine area.

    ReplyDelete

I just can't wait to hear what you have to say!