Google Analytics

March 23, 2011

Colour, colour, colour!

Last week I met Sharon Grech of City Line TV.

Sharon Grech


She was hosting a seminar about upcoming colour trends in 2011. I’ve seen her for years and have always wanted to meet this little fireball!  She is a Benjamin Moore expert and focuses on updating clients lives with fantastic and inspirational paint colours.
She had mentioned a poll was done where clients were asked which was the most difficult area of design --in projects ranging from $1,000 to $100,000.  80% of the respondents stated CHOOSING THE WALL COLOUR was the most difficult aspect of interior design.  The reason is, it is very difficult to imagine or visualize colour!
Dog house diaries.com show the difference between men and women’s thinking.  This graph shows the names of colour in women’s minds and in men’s minds.
doghousediaries.com
The chart above kind of makes sense doesn’t it?    Unfortunately.

Sharon explained many things impact colour forecasting such as:
Trends in society
Nature
The economy
Fashion
Pop culture
Technology
Sharon had mentioned a good place to start finding your style is to look at the trend forecasts then narrow it down to what you find pleasing.
In other words if dark grey is trendy, but you are unsure if you like it, perhaps just use it as an accent wall or in slate grey vases etc.
Gray vase


It’s amazing how fashion can change your perception of colour.  I didn’t formerly like Fuchsia as a colour. Several years ago when it was in style -as a clothing colour- I started wearing fuchsia and quite enjoyed it. Now that the grey trend is here I find fuchsia a colourful accent to liven up the grey tones.

Spring wreath

More and more I find people are not filling up their homes; but are now filling up their lives.  Excess is gone and  a more balanced and thought provoking lifestyle is prevailing. Let’s only keep items in our homes that we truly love or truly need.
 
At Reflections Interior Designs, we'd love to help make your house a home!

14 comments:

  1. That must have been a fun day. Was she in Vancouver? Love that colour name chart...too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol, actually she was in Abbotsford, so for once, I didn't have to drive into Vancouver! She said she got the biggest crowd of all in Abbotsford. She was a hoot. I thought you'd enjoy that colour name chart :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. really interesting! and so true how men break down all colors into the main color families, while women recognize the subtle differences . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that chart. It is sooo true. I agree, I can agonize over wall colours. I did last week when I had to begrudgingly re-paint my peachy 90's bathroom. Finding the right white was a challenge. Still not sure I like it but will live with it.

    Love all your design articles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, which colour white did you choose for the bathroom after all? I find offwhites the hardest to pick as the natural light, flooring, etc. reflects onto it. Thanks guys for the kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great chart! i can see the very subtle differences in colours but my husband definitely can not! Funny chart.. and great blog!
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey I didn't comment last time :) Just posted it, loved the differences!
    x
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post! I am going to keep a copy of the colour name chart handy, it's too funny.

    So happy I clicked around and found your blog via your FB info page ;)

    Dane

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like grabbing a box of crayons and going crazy with a coloring book. I'm so inspired by that simple little chart of color. AND did you know that a lot of men are color blind?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tracey, I loved the names on that colour chart - most of the names made me hungry! Yes, I did know about a lot of men being color blind - my hubby being one of them- funny how it's hard for some people to see the difference between red and green!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I showed this colour chart to Brian and he said "yep". A man of few words!! HaHaHa! I would have loved to hear Sharon speak. I've always enjoyed her on Cityline :-)

    I know you're busy with baby and toddler and clients and life, but try hard to post about your ugly-art transformation project - I'd love to see what you come up with!!

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jill the color chart made me laugh because it is so true, of course! So happy to find you!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    Come and join my fashionable Giveaway from The Shabby Apple!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chart is hililarious!
    I agree people are downsizing excesses, me included.

    ReplyDelete

I just can't wait to hear what you have to say!